The trial of former Bathurst mayor Robert William “Bobby” Burke, who is indicted on extortion plot charges, will take place in the nearby city of Orange.
- Former Bathurst Mayor Bobby Burke’s successful application to move trial to Orange
- The case will be heard in Orange, less than an hour from Bathurst.
- Burke pleaded not guilty to charges of extortion and fraud
In 2021, Bathurst Area Councilor Jackie Rudge said she received a letter threatening to publicly disclose her mental health struggles if she did not resign from the council.
Rudge accused then-Mayor Burke of being involved.
The allegations first came to light last year on ABC’s 7.30 show.
Mr. Burke appeared in Orange District Court on Monday on the matter.
The British royal family has argued Mr Burke will not get a fair trial if the matter turns to Bathurst, with Justice Graham Turnbull saying he was “well aware” of the media attention on the matter. .
He granted the royal application to hold his trial in Orange, less than an hour from Bathurst.
“One of the things I learned in three years is that they are three different cities, three different cultures,” he said.
“It’s nothing like Sydney’s neighboring suburbs.”
Exams are listed for May 2023.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-26/former-bathurst-mayor-bobby-bourke-court-appearance-trial-set/101473336 Ex-Bathurst Mayor Bobby Burke’s Extortion Alleged Trial Held in Central West