Michael Sexton, who appeared in court on behalf of the Attorney General, said the magazine is being circulated to the community to provide potential jurors and potential witnesses for the trial.
Sexton said a contempt charge would be brought in court today. Time’s Tom Hughes QC said any insult allegations will be defended.
Hughes said about 111,755 copies of the magazine had been distributed to 2,000 newsagents and 813 supermarkets and the ACT across New South Wales on Monday. About 55 percent of weekly sales typically occurred on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Judge Kirby said the issue involved a conflict between the right to free expression and the individual’s right to a fair trial.
“This right … is the basis for community acceptance of jury verdicts that affect the freedom of the accused. It is the duty of the courts to protect this right,” he said.
who every weekThe magazine’s editor, Thomas Moore, said outside the court that he was disappointed with the interim ruling but hoped the magazine would be justified. He said he sought legal advice before publishing the photos.
Milat’s attorney John Marsden said last night that the media attention made it “difficult, if not impossible, for my clients to get a fair trial.”
He said he was considering requesting a stay of proceedings over whether a fair trial would be possible.
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/nsw/from-the-archives-1994-court-tells-who-to-recall-copies-20230601-p5dd6w.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_national Court Orders Who to Recover Copies