Basil Zempilas: Heating up Australia Day debate will only create division
1. Yesterday the City of Perth was one of many councils around our state to observe the National Day event on our National Day. The we. Like my fellow mayors, I am confident that I fully accept and understand the conversations and discussions regarding January 26th. Will the damage be done? If the Prime Minister wants to change the date, he will have to initiate that change through Parliament. Instead, he wagered in his own way and created a greater schism by allowing the council to hold the event on the day it chose. . Australia Day should bring people together, not separate them. Come PM, either we change or we don’t. Trying to do it both ways will do you great harm.
2. Here is another discussion. Should “I’m Australian” be the national anthem? It’s a better song, a much better song, and the lyrics are more relevant than Advance Australia Fair.
3. I didn’t know about 2023 Australian of the Year Taryn Bramfitt until this week, but in this age of social media, with a positive body message in our time, she’s been amazing. It was a welcome winner.
Four. The highest inflation since 1990 means we are headed for more interest rate pain. No one can predict the future, but I’ll ask again. Who else wants Philip Lowe to lift his head just a little to ensure low interest rates?
Five. When he made his league debut for West Perth in 1990, Steve Bazzo was the midfield general for the Swan District team they faced that day. Kylie Bazzo, who died in a boating accident in Mandurah on Saturday night, was Peel Thunder’s first female WAFL CEO. Great people in a great football family. My deepest condolences to Rhett and Kameron and the family of the late Debbie Burdon.
6. In this age of dating apps, of course, we want to ensure people’s safety by enabling background checks for all users. But think about it for a second. In the old days when we tried our luck at bars and nightclubs, it wasn’t the pub owner’s job to tell the history of the person we were chatting with.
7. Why is Top Gun’s new movie Maverick nominated for Best Picture at the Academy Awards when Tom Cruise isn’t nominated for Best Actor?
8. The Fringe World Festival is underway. Until February 19th, so don’t miss it.
9. I think West Coast CEO Trevor Nisbett will have two more years. He can’t help but admire the man’s courage and confidence. Next, Niz.
Ten. Confession. We didn’t know that Kate Moss had a sister, Lottie, until yesterday.
https://thewest.com.au/opinion/basil-zempilas/basil-zempilas-letting-australia-day-debate-fester-only-creates-division–c-9564540 Basil Zempilas: Heating up Australia Day debate will only create division