A man accused of stabbing a 3-year-old boy to death at a Sydney unit will remain in custody until he recovers from self-inflicted injuries in hospital.
Nathan Vikatos, 45, was due to appear in Parramatta District Court on Saturday on murder charges, but the case was postponed for two months after a brief mention.
He has been charged with murdering a boy after police found his body at his Washington Street unit in Riverwood around 4 p.m. Wednesday.
Relatives were concerned about the welfare of the two and called the police.
Vikatos was also found in the apartment and treated at the scene for self-harm.
He underwent surgery and was in stable condition on Thursday, but was arrested the next day and formally charged with the hospital.
Vikatos has partners to help the police.
Police said the boy’s mother had died several years ago and that the boy had lived with Vikatos and one of his female relatives.
The matter was adjourned in Burwood District Court on August 9.
Superintendent Sheridan Waldau said Wednesday that the child’s death was a traumatic and terrifying event for everyone at the scene.
Domestic Violence Prevention Minister Jodie Harrison previously said the child’s death was “shocking and tragic” and offered her condolences to family and friends.
- Lifeline 13 11 14
- Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 (for ages 5-25)
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/nsw/sydney/2023/06/04/accused-child-killer-nathan-vikatos/ 3-year-old murder suspect absent from court