Health

The best surfers in the world head to Australia to face COVID-19 quarantine

A major logistic feat, surfers from around the world are heading to Australia facing a two-week COVID-19 lockdown ahead of the World Surfing Tour scheduled to begin on April 1.

Foreign competitors (many of whom come from coronavirus hotspots around the world) face tough weeks of quarantine, travel and quarantine, giving local Australian surfers a slight competitive advantage. Some predict that they will acquire sex.

The news of the blockade follows the turmoil of surfing events over the past few months at major competitions such as the iconic ones. Bells Beach event on relocation For the first time in 60 years since Victoria, and The Gold Coast Corona Open must be relocated to Sydney.

Last month, the world Australian Open Tennis Officials Coordinated large-scale operations, including forced hotel quarantine for over 1,000 players and their aides. Many competitors have devised novel ways to train in their room.

The biggest names for surfing from Brazil, the United States and Europe may need to come up with some equally creative training ideas when they arrive in Australia next week under a strict pandemic protocol.

Currently, they are rallying in Los Angeles, where they will be quarantined, undergo a COVID test, and then board a charter flight to Sydney.

So how does it work?

A total of 108 surfers, support staff and World Surf League (WSL) staff will arrive on Monday and will soon enter Australia’s two-week hotel quarantine system.

Andrew Stark, WSL’s Asia Pacific General Manager, said he carefully observed how the process of the Australian Open tennis tournament was processed and learned from mistakes.

“In particular, we need to make very sure that all these athletes and people in this charter are very aware of what they are doing in the context of the 14-day quarantine blockade. ..

“Our athletes and staff will be in full quarantine lockdown, but they are all aware of it and I think surfers are really excited to wear the jersey and compete again.”

Stark said there is no “practice allowance” for athletes to train outside the hotel room, but basic exercise equipment is provided.

You will be released from quarantine 10 days before your first event at Merewether Beach in Newcastle. This time frame is believed to be long enough for surfers to return to the water and prepare for the competition.

COVID wipe out

The WSL Championship Tour was canceled early last year due to a pandemic, with only a pipeline event in Hawaii in December.

The event was abruptly interrupted due to an outbreak among WSL staff, including CEO Eric Logan, after which all surfing competitions in Hawaii, including the Sunset Open and Jaws, were cancelled.

Aerial view of surf break at Snapper Rocks
Over 100 surfers, support staff and World Surf League officials will participate in the competition.(((

Supply

)

WSL is now anxious for a new start to its world tour in Australia, which is relatively COVID-free. Four events will be held in Newcastle and Narrabeen, New South Wales, and Margaret River and Rottnest Island, Western Australia.

As the majority of surfers arrive from the world’s two largest COVID-19 hotspots, the United States and Brazil, Stark has taken all precautions to prevent outbreaks between the arriving athletes and staff. I said there is.

“It’s obviously a charter (flight) limited to our group, but it also means that there are plenty of extra seats to be able to keep a really good social distance on the plane, compulsory Wearing a good mask and changing the mask every few hours, “he said.

“And when they land, NSW Health’s quarantine system will pick up any incident, if any.

Surfing under the lips of big waves
During the spectacular waves of last year, local surfer Tim Dixon won the barrel at Meleweather in Newcastle.(((

Courtesy: Richard Bartlett

)

Event restrictions

The COVID rules are also set to significantly change the look of WSL events in Australia, with limited spectators and restricted public access to the beach.

Stark said the organizers plan to accommodate up to 3,000 people at the Newcastle event.

“Currently the number is 3,000 and can fluctuate depending on the COVID situation,” he said.

“There are also some fencing and QR codes to access the area, but people are used to it.

He said the event was still free for the audience and the organizers were still considering the details of the ticket system.

The best surfers in the world head to Australia to face COVID-19 quarantine

Source link The best surfers in the world head to Australia to face COVID-19 quarantine

Related Articles

Back to top button