Sports

Team GB Curlers Ready to Use Moneyball Approach to Beijing Winter Olympics | Winter Olympics

British curlers use Moneyball to gain an edge over their rivals. Winter olympic.. On Thursday, Team GB nominated the first six athletes of the 2022 Beijing Olympics, with world champion Bruce Mouat winning double gold in a mixed doubles and men’s event.

A 27-year-old woman from Edinburgh believes that using data and analytics will make all the difference in February. This is to improve your opponent’s readiness and give you a better understanding of what to do at key points in the match.

“I don’t think there is too much data,” he said. “If you have to make difficult choices, you have a 60% chance of winning with one option, but if you choose another option, you can only get a 40% chance of winning. That’s what we’re currently trying to get during the game.

“We are always looking for an extra 1-2 percent that we can find to beat the best in the world. Many jobs at UK Sport and Lottery Funding are video analytics, our opposition, various games. We were able to support us by investigating the scenario. “

The use of analytics has already helped the British team. Moot and his teammate Jennifer Dodds will be heading to Beijing after winning the Mixed Doubles World Championship in April. Moot will also lead the Inform Men’s Team (Grant Hardie, Bobby Lammie, Hammy McMillan, Reserve Los White), who have steadily risen the world rankings after winning the silver medal in the world. increase.

“It’s important to have this information available,” says Mouat. “But curling is also a pretty physical sport, so you need to be a good athlete and have a strategy. That’s why I like sports so much. It’s not just physicality, it’s It’s also how strategic and bold it is to stay two steps ahead of the enemy. “

Dodds said: “It makes a lot of sense to be selected for my first Olympics. It’s something we’ve been working on for years.

“Teaming with Bruce means a lot. We knew each other for a long time. We started in the same club, so sharing this moment together is really special. That is. “

Quick guide

How do I sign up for breaking sports news alerts?

show

  • Search for “The Guardian” and download the Guardian app from the iOS App Store on your iPhone or the Google Play Store on your Android phone.
  • If you already have the Guardian app, make sure you’re using the latest version.
  • In the Guardian app, tap the yellow button at the bottom right and[設定](Gear icon),[通知]Move in the order of.
  • Turn on sports notifications.

Thank you for your feedback.

The women’s team, who skipped Eve Muirhead, is still unable to compete in the tournament, but hopes to win a quarter spot in December.

Englishman curling Executive Performance Director Nigel Hall said the team’s recent success on the world stage demonstrates the benefits of internal competition when international competition becomes impossible during the blockade. “Athletes responded wonderfully and are pleased to have this opportunity for Bruce, Jen, Grant, Bobby, Hamee and Ross to make their Olympic debut,” he said.

Team GB Curlers Ready to Use Moneyball Approach to Beijing Winter Olympics | Winter Olympics

Source link Team GB Curlers Ready to Use Moneyball Approach to Beijing Winter Olympics | Winter Olympics

Related Articles

Back to top button