Sydney

Norwegian attack is “probably a terrorist act”

Police say the bow and arrow attack, which was suspected of killing five Danish converts to Islam in a Norwegian town, appeared to have been a “terrorist act.”

Investigators named the suspect Espen Andersen Braathen, 37, who lives in the city of Kongsberg, where the attack took place Wednesday night.

A police lawyer told Reuters that Sauerbraten had admitted to killing the victim.

His lawyer only confirmed that Sauerbraten had cooperated with the police and issued a detailed statement.

Police were concerned about signs of the suspect’s intensification before the attack with bows and arrows and other weapons, senior officers said.

After the deaths of four women and one man between the ages of 50 and 70, the flag flew across Kongsburg with a half-mast.

Three others were injured, including an off-duty police officer.

“The incident in Kongsburg seems to be a terrorist act at this point,” PST security police said in a statement, adding that the investigation would determine the motivation.

Regional police chief Ole Bredrup Saeverud said the suspect had converted to Islam.

“Police had previously been in contact with a man on issues related to extremism. He didn’t register anything about him in 2021, but before,” Saveld said at a news conference.

Hans Sverre Sjoevold, head of Norwegian PST security police, said Braten has a history of “going in and out” of health agencies.

Determining whether the attack was a terrorist act or the result of a psychiatric problem “will be an important and important part of the investigation,” he told Reuters.

According to Sjoevold, the method of attack was similar to many politically motivated attacks in Europe in recent years.

“Knives, use of public places … police do not exist, so they can … carry out attacks. This is very typical for these operands,” he told Reuters. ..

On Wednesday, Kongsburg resident Marcus Kurtima, 23, who works at a beer store, witnessed some of the attacks.

“I saw a man walking with an arrow on his back,” Kurtima told Reuters.

He said it was the off-duty police officer who told him to go home.

Sauerbraten was detained and was believed to have acted alone, police said.

The court will determine how long police can detain him on Friday.

Police lawyer Anne Iren Svane Matthiasen told Reuters, “He told us he had killed them and explained in detail what happened. The issue of guilt.”

She said police wanted a psychiatric assessment to determine if he was worthy of a trial and if the killed people “looked like random victims.” ..

A relative of the suspect told the Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet on condition of anonymity that he was mentally ill and that his family had been threatened for several years.

Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre said he thought of the victims of Kongsburg and “people who live in shock” on the first day after winning the election last month.

He said at a news conference that the attack highlighted the shortcomings of Norwegian psychiatric care and turned down “one in four or one in five” people referred for treatment.

Norwegian attack is “probably a terrorist act”

Source link Norwegian attack is “probably a terrorist act”

Related Articles

Back to top button