Australia & World

Northern Territory Indigenous Workers File Proceedings Beyond Decades of Lost Income

A groundbreaking class action proceeding has been launched on behalf of indigenous peoples who claim that lawyers worked almost or free of charge in the last century as stockmen, farmers and domestic workers throughout the Northern Territory.

Melbourne law firm Shine Lawyers filed a proceeding on Friday, and the federal government compensated Northern Territory workers who held wages in trust accounts under the so-called protection law that came into force between 1933 and 1972. Said that he was owed.

In a statement, Shine said many of the trust accounts were not completely or completely released to workers who were often paid for food rations rather than wages.

Jan Sadler, head of the Shine Royals class proceedings, said the case also involved acknowledging the suffering that historic government policies caused indigenous Australians.

“Under these discriminatory laws, the Commonwealth fled by robbing indigenous Australians of hard-earned wages, which means that those who are already away from their families have a vicious cycle of preventable poverty. I entered, “she said.

“Rather than clearing this injustice under the rug, if there is a chance for a bright future, we must deal with the mistakes of the past.”

The case was filed in federal court late Thursday, according to a law firm.

The 11-year-old indigenous Thomas Conway, who was sent to work in the Northern Territory’s largest idyllic land, said he was forced to work 12 hours a day without money.

“I worked in water holes, timber yard and stockyard. I didn’t have the money and I worked for white people,” he said in a statement.

In 2019, a class action lawsuit over wages stolen on behalf of an estimated 10,000 indigenous workers in Queensland Settled with state government for $ 190 million..

A similar proceeding was filed against the Western Australian Government last year. Wages of Thousands of Indigenous Workers in Trust Accounts It was never repaid.

The proceedings lending service, which funds the proceedings, said it was proud to support the “road to justice” for Aboriginal workers.

“Australian people expect fair-day wages for fair-day work, and it’s embarrassing that the Commonwealth hasn’t yet acted to resolve this fraud,” said the SBS Board of Directors. Nyunggai Warren Mundine, LLS Director at.

Anyone subject to relevant law that believes their wages have been stolen, including the descendants of a deceased worker, is eligible to participate in the proceedings.

Northern Territory Indigenous Workers File Proceedings Beyond Decades of Lost Income

Source link Northern Territory Indigenous Workers File Proceedings Beyond Decades of Lost Income

Related Articles

Back to top button