Entertainment

Miners noticed as Jukan’s report approached

A federal investigation is preparing to submit a final report on the destruction of the rock shelter in the ancient Jukan Gorge by Rio Tinto, seeking free, informed consent to be enshrined in land use negotiations. The voice is rising.

The report, scheduled for Monday, was released after a year or more of hearing involving dozens of traditional owner groups and other stakeholders.

In May 2020, horrifying evidence was submitted about the destruction of the sacred Jukan Cave 46,000 years ago in Putukuntiklama and Pinikura in the Pilbara region of Western Australia by Rio.

However, the bipartisan North Australian Commission also turned its forensic eye on the relationship between other mining companies and indigenous groups and heard recurring concerns about inequality between the parties.

Rio’s bombing of the Jucan Gorge cave was permitted under WA’s outdated Aboriginal heritage law, but traditional owners remained devastated.

Following a global backlash, Rio said goodbye to the CEO and other senior executives.

“Rio’s experience cools the spine of all CEOs and directors there and basically makes them aware that the social license to operate is genuine,” said Gaul’s elder, National. Cadmuir, chairman of the Native Title Council, told AAP. ..

“Where bad laws are in force, there are still expectations from the community (beyond compliance), and the views of the community are often reflected by investors.”

The Government of Western Australia has promised to soon introduce a new Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Act that will allow landowners to make decisions about their land.

Aboriginal groups believe that the bill does not provide adequate protection and that the proposed new regime will put a heavy burden on underfunded native title groups.

Muir has called for increased federal oversight of heritage protection and said the Western Australian Government should return to the plan. The McGowan government claims it has already extensively consulted with Aboriginal groups.

Meanwhile, investors are taking their own actions.

Rio’s voice critic after the Jucan incident, industry superfund Hester, is backing a new partnership led by the First Nations Heritage Protection Alliance.

The Dhawura Ngilan Initiative guides businesses to engage more respectfully with indigenous peoples with the hope of enshrining the principles of free and informed consent in both legal and best practice standards.

For Hesta, who manages $ 64 billion on behalf of more than 900,000 Australians, the current situation represents a clear financial risk to the investment of its members.

“It’s imperative that we remove the term from the overused acronym and review it again,” Hester’s influential director Mary Delahunty told AAP.

“This means asking for consent in a genuine way at the beginning of the process, but it also means checking in again to make sure consent is still given.

“It’s something that many businesses lack, and that’s when you get the gap between what is legally permitted and the expectations of the community.”

Rio repeatedly apologized for the destruction of Jukan.

Together with other Pilbara miners, it promised to modernize the heritage agreement and stop enforcing gag clauses that silence traditional owners.

Last month, London-based miners disclosed direct and often unpleasant feedback from traditional owners about their heritage management.

“This kind of transparency is one of the things investors have been looking for,” says Delahunty.

“We’ve been talking to the company for a long time about the need to close the integrity gap. I think the message was received.”

Miners noticed as Jukan’s report approached

Source link Miners noticed as Jukan’s report approached

Related Articles

Back to top button