Australia & World

MCG Bomb Plotter Abdul Naiser Benbrica bids to escape prison

A terrorist leader who attempted to bomb MCG and other Australian landmarks claims he should not have been given extra time behind the bar.

Abdul Nacer Benbrika spent 15 years in prison after being convicted and imprisoned for being the leader of Australia’s largest terrorist network. His decision expired last year.

However, Interior Minister Peter Dutton successfully insisted that he be kept in prison until 2023 under continued detention orders.

Camera iconDuring an interview with ABC-TV at his home in Melbourne, self-proclaimed Islamic extremist Abdul Nacer Benbrika (also known as Abu Bakr). ABC credit: supply

Terror plotter lawyer Danster QC appeared in the Court of Appeals on Tuesday, and a judge who ordered Bembrica to stay behind the bar told the court that he should identify the crimes he was at risk of committing if released. Told.

He also argued that another reason was that the former judge made a mistake in the law regarding the permissiveness of evidence and risk assessment of the case.

Born in Algeria, Benbrica led a cell targeting the AFL Grand Final in Melbourne, Crown Casino and a nuclear reactor in Sydney.

September 15, 2008 Library: May 8, 2005: Video of self-proclaimed Islamic extremist Nacer Benbrika (Abu Bakr) during an interview with ABC-TV at his home in Melbourne.
Camera iconBembrica has appealed for the decision to put him behind the bar for another three years. ABC credit: News Limited

He was first arrested in 2005 as one of more than 12 people who caught up with Operation Pendenis, one of the country’s largest counterterrorism investigations.

In 2017, the bid for Bembrica’s parole was rejected.

He was ordered to spend another three years behind the bar in December 2020, and his citizenship was revoked.

The trial will continue.

MCG Bomb Plotter Abdul Naiser Benbrica bids to escape prison

Source link MCG Bomb Plotter Abdul Naiser Benbrica bids to escape prison

Related Articles

Back to top button