The federal government says it has not yet been confirmed if Australians were involved. Deadly self-destruct attack At Kabul Airport.
Two suicide bombers attacked a crowd outside Kabul Airport in hopes of fleeing Taliban-controlled Afghanistan overnight. Afghan and Pentagon officials say at least 60 Afghan civilians and 12 US soldiers have died.
Foreign Minister Marise Payne said Friday morning it was not yet clear if Australians were affected.
“We can’t confirm that at this time,” she told Canberra reporters.
“We will contact someone who knows the details, so it is very important to register and follow the travel advice we have issued.”
The latest travel advice as of Friday morning is to leave the airport.
“Don’t travel to the airport,” said Senator Payne.
“If you are nearby, please move to a safe place and provide contact details for consular support. I cannot strongly encourage the following of that travel advice: Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade If you are in Kabul and have not registered with, we recommend that you do so. “
Early on Friday, it was confirmed that all Australian troops had withdrawn from Afghanistan and the evacuation flight had ended.
Defense Minister Peter Dutton said the final airlift was completed on Thursday and all Australians involved in the operation were safe.
“I was very pleased and relieved that our soldiers left Kabul. Yesterday we decided to dismiss the last people. They are safely in the United Arab Emirates. I am it. I am very pleased, “he told Nine Network.
“I pointed out that, and if I were to continue in that situation, I would still have been injured, so I can’t continue to endanger ADF personnel and their lives in such a situation. . “
Prime Minister Scott Morrison accused “an innocent and brave evil, calculated inhumane attack in Kabul overnight.”
“Our heart sank when we heard this news,” he told Canberra reporters.
Morrison said he wrote to US President Joe Biden to “express the deep sorrow of the loss of the souls of Australian and my own brave Americans.”
He said the attack took place at Abbey Gate at Kabul Airport. An Australian employee stood there just a few hours ago.
“We were able to ensure the departure of the rest of the Australian staff during the last night, shortly before the horrific event that happened last night,” Morrison said.
U.S. evacuation is set to continue, President Joe Biden, in a speech from the White House (AEST) on Friday, showed no sign of a change in the military withdrawal deadline on August 31st.
Australians and Afghans with visas remaining in Afghanistan are advised to stay away from Kabul Airport.
More than 100 former staff members of the Kabul Embassy in Australia, who were waiting to evacuate with their families at the same airport gate time before the explosion, left the area on the advice of an Australian military lawyer. It’s safe.
SBS News confirmed that all 147 people were explained by an Australian-based legal team.
“They were right there,” advocate Kay Danes told SBS News.
“We told them to go home.”
An Afghan who worked as an Australian and chef in Kabul said he had been waiting all day near the airport gate but left the area an hour before the first blast.
“Thank God, I’m fine,” he told SBS News.
Since the Taliban takeover, Australia has evacuated a total of 4,000 Australian citizens, visa holders and foreigners on military flights.
Morrison admitted that it would be difficult to escape Kabul on UK or U.S. military flights that are still in service, as Australians and visa holders focus on safe drawdowns at the airport. rice field.
“Honestly, that opportunity will be very limited,” he said.
“We are now on the final day with the United Kingdom and the United States. Their priority is clearly for the safe evacuation of their own troops and equipment, not just those who are still taking them out. Is on duty. “
Government does not know if Australians were affected by the “evil” Kabul suicide explosion
Source link Government does not know if Australians were affected by the “evil” Kabul suicide explosion