Under the influence of the COVID-19 pandemic, UEFA has canceled the finals of the European Championships under the age of 19 for both men and women.
The men’s soccer tournament will be held in Romania from June 30th, and the Belarusian women’s event will be held from July 21st.
In a statement on Tuesday, the European football governing body said the current government travel restrictions would make staging the event very difficult.
“It’s a shame that youth competitions won’t be held this season, but at the moment we have to prioritize the health and safety of young athletes,” UEFA said.
Bucharest, the capital of Romania, is one of the 12 host cities of the postponed Men’s Euro 2020 tournament, and UEFA will decide on a plan for the event on March 5.
UEFA hopes that vaccination efforts will allow it to stick to the original plans for major pan-European tournaments in June.
The one-month exhibit in 24 countries is a major source of revenue for UEFA and all Unions across Europe and has been postponed 12 months after the outbreak of COVID-19 last year.
The host cities are Glasgow, Dublin, Bilbao, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Munich, Rome, St. Petersburg, Bucharest, Budapest and Baku, where the semifinals and finals of Wembley Stadium in London will take place.
Euro final under 19 years old canceled in virus
Source link Euro final under 19 years old canceled in virus