Health

Covid-19: Number of Australians who believe the virus will increase

Australian fears of Covid infection have skyrocketed to record highs, alongside another worrying mental health trend.

According to a new study, two in five Australians believe they are more likely to be infected with Covid because the number of people reporting “severe” psychological stress has skyrocketed dramatically. ..

Researchers at the Australian National University surveyed nearly 3,500 adults and found that 40% believe they are likely or very likely to become infected with Covid within the next six months.

Vaccinated people are more likely to be more likely to be infected than unvaccinated people and hope that vaccination will reduce hospitalization and death while still exposed to mild cases. rice field.

The risk of infection was four times higher than in April, said lead research author Nicholas Biddle.

“In April 2021, about 1 in 10 Australians, 10.7%, were worried that they would be infected with Covid-19,” said Professor Biddle.

“Now, 40 percent of us think the same thing.

“This is a big leap, and despite the fact that the majority of Australian adults are vaccinated with Covid-19, many of us have this disease at some point, especially as the country becomes more open. It shows that it is inevitable to get sick. More. “

People between the ages of 35 and 44 were the group most thought they would be infected.

More than half (53.8 percent) say they are likely or very likely to be infected with Covid.

This is followed by people between the ages of 45 and 54, with 43.1% saying they are likely or very likely to get sick.

Meanwhile, the study showed a surge in the number of people who said they were experiencing “serious” psychological stress, despite increasing life satisfaction, and tended to be worried.

In October, 12.5% ​​of Australians said they were suffering from severe psychological stress, compared to a record high of 10.6% in April 2020.

“We have been tracking the impact of Covid-19 on Australian society for almost two years,” said Professor Biddle.

“This is the highest level of serious psychological distress we have ever seen.”

However, few Australians have reported significant financial stress, and surveys show that household income continues to grow.

“The amount of money Australians earn each week seems to be less pressure than what was in the midst of a pandemic and blockade,” said study co-author Matthew Gray.

When it comes to recovering from a pandemic, 54.6% thought the worst was behind us, and the remaining 45.4% thought it was still coming.

Australians proved to be more optimistic than Americans, 45% of Americans said the worst of the pandemic was behind them, and 54% said the worst hadn’t come yet. rice field.

Most Australians also thought that the federal government, prime minister, and opposition leader did “fair” or “poor” jobs, but public services, state / territory governments, hospitals / medical systems were “good” or “Good job.

This analysis is part of Australia’s largest and longest longitudinal study on the effects of pandemics across the country, led by the ANU Social Research and Methods Center.

Initially published as follows Studies tracking health during a pandemic increase the risk of Australians becoming infected with Covid.

Covid-19: Number of Australians who believe the virus will increase

Source link Covid-19: Number of Australians who believe the virus will increase

Related Articles

Back to top button