It seems pretty straightforward to purchase a new quilt, but there are times when the wide variety of sizes, styles, and fillings can confuse. Hence it would be better to address the problems before we begin shopping. By doing so, the entire job becomes more simple and hassle-free.
It would help to consider your mattress type when buying a quilt since it determines the size. Currently, mattresses are more profound than they were in the past, so your quilt should be wider to provide an overhang or drop to cover the edges of your bed.
Likewise, you need to decide what coverage you prefer around your bed, with some desire for just enough to cover the edges. Additionally, you may want to consider the pillow tuck above your bed, meaning your quilt must be tucked beneath your pillows to define the bed line.
Furthermore, the type and thickness of the filling will affect the final product size because some fluffy inserts, such as down feathers, are heavier than others. The worst thing is a large quilt that does not fit the cover as it ruches up at the edges, resulting in a bulky and uncomfortable feel. Alternatively, small quilts are likely to go inside the cover and crease up on one side, causing part of the cover to be empty. Therefore, buying a quilt that is the right size for the quilt cover is necessary.
It is also essential to measure the size of your bed before purchasing a new quilt. It is common for bed manufacturers to have different bed sizes; any dimensions given are meant only as guidelines. In this regard, your standard bed size may differ by a few centimetres, and your quilt size will be affected accordingly.
Depending on the country, bed and bedding sizes differ, which means if you purchase a comforter in the United States, the measure will be different from what you find in Britain.
It is possible to buy a quilt for almost any bed, ranging from a cot to a king-sized bed. Below are a few standard sizes.
- An average baby cot measures 69cm by 132cm roughly.
- The mattress for a small single bed measure approximately 75cm x 190cm and thus needs a quilt measuring 120cm x 200cm.
- Mattress for a standard single bed measure approximately 90cm x 190cm, and a quilt should measure about 135cm x 200cm.
- The mattress for a small double bed is typically 120 cm by 190 cm, and a quilt that measures approximately 200 cm by 200 cm will work well.
- The mattress for a double bed is usually 135cm by 190cm, and a quilt measuring 200cm x 200cm will be a perfect fit.
- The dimensions of a king-size bed are 150cm by 200cm, and the quilt should measure 220cm by 220 cm.
- A super king bed measures 180cm x 200cm, and you should choose a 260cm x 220cm quilt.
The sizes listed here are just general guidelines, and each manufacturer may suggest which quilt size is appropriate for their bedding items or bed.
Your quilt size must match the size of your bed if you like your quilt/ comforter to give warmth and make your bed look stylish.